Quakelive Clan

You are not connected. Please login or register

Key Binds Basics

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Key Binds Basics on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:48 am

Griffo

Admin
I think having a setup that is comfortable is very important and whilst what key binds you use is a very personal thing to each player Im sure we all can provide good tips to each other and im curious to know what setups others use.

You can bind keys to do alot more than just selecting weapons. there are a few very useful things worth adding especially for a team game like CTF

DROPFLAG drops the flag

DROPWEAPON drops the weapon you are currently holding

if you can think of any more please add them I will start another thread for speach and tactical protocals so dont worry about them here

View user profile http://rail.forumclan.com

2 Using the numeric keypad on Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:02 am

Ratware

Admin
An idea I pinched from the QL forums is using the numeric keypad for CTF team message binds, lots of spare keys, and easy access form the mouse hand (right handed users).

Here are my binds:-

bind KP_HOME "say_team ^1enemy coming in ^3HIGH"
//bind KP_UPARROW
bind KP_PGUP "say_team ^1enemy escaping with flag ^3HIGH"
bind KP_LEFTARROW "say_team ^1enemy coming in ^3LOW"
bind KP_5 "say_team ^1 BASE NOT SAFE!!"
bind KP_RIGHTARROW "say_team ^1enemy escaping with flag ^3LOW"
//bind KP_END
//bind KP_DOWNARROW
//bind KP_PGDN

bind KP_INS "say_team ^4 MEGA HEALTH ^2AVAILABLE!!!"
bind KP_DEL "say_team ^4 RED ARMOR ^2AVAILABLE!!!"
bind KP_ENTER

bind KP_SLASH "say_team ^5 MORE DEFENSE PLZ!"
bind * "say_team ^5 MORE OFFENSE PLZ!"
bind KP_MINUS "dropflag"
//bind KP_PLUS

Note I have left in the unused keys in, so the codes can be seen.

View user profile

3 My key binds on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:26 am

I have only one useful key bind among all the key binds...

bind kp_enter "say_team ^2HERE"

By this key bind I am Letting my team know where I have reached when I have the flag and also for letting my team to know where the opponent's flag carrier is after I am fragged by the flag carrier or when I am having a tough time with the flag carrier Very Happy

My other key binds are:
bind kp_end "say : )"
bind kp_downarrow "say : D"
bind kp_pgdn "say : P"
bind kp_leftarrow "say ns"
bind kp_5 "say : ("
bind kp_rightarrow "say lol"
bind kp_ins "say f"
bind kp_del "say s"

C'mon the game is for fun Smile

View user profile

4 Re: Key Binds Basics on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:40 am

Maybe i'm just being thick but can anyone enlighten me as to how you actually set up and use these command binds in the first place? scratch

I have been thinking for weeks that I would like to use these but have no idea how to set them up or assign the them to the game controls.

I have had a look around the web and on the QL live forums but can't seem to get any info on this (other than a load of IT speak which I can't understand)as most people seem only to focus on what commands they use rather than how they set them up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers guys.

View user profile

5 Re: Key Binds Basics on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:09 am

Griffo

Admin
ratware is gonna do some essentials like opening your console and stuff if you need help with that level of tweeking but when it comes to binds its a case of open your console, then the first command is bind followed by the key you want to bind to then the command such as +dropweapon or sayteam. some like say team you then continue to add what you want it to say so the whole thing looks like this in your console

bind g "+dropflag"
or
bind kp_pgup "say ignore last remark"

i dont think the "" are nessisary when entering it into your console but it definetly is if you are writing it in notepad as a config file

keys like the letters are mostly just that letter as in like the g in the first one. Some are quite different and i will try to procure a list. the keypad ones definetly all start kp_ and then are usually what it says on the key ie home, pgdn,
the + and - keys are spelt out as in kp_minus

i hope that helps a bit but never fear if it doesnt, we will write up some nice guides soon Smile

6 Re: Key Binds Basics on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:52 am

you can also combine commands into one bind

example:

/bind kp_5 dropWeapon ; say_team ^2Take this weapon and fight on brother!

placing ; will separate commands

View user profile http://www.quakelive.com/profile/summary/okushama

7 Re: Key Binds Basics on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:47 am

Ratware

Admin
Thats a good point!

I will add that to my weapon & flag drop binds.

View user profile

8 Re: Key Binds Basics on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:54 am

Uhhh! Sorry guys but you're going to have to go even more basic than that for me! confused

I literally need an idiot's guide to setting up and applying these (i.e. open xxxx, type xxxx, press enter etc!)

Also do I set these up using some external software? if so how and how do I then apply these to the keys that you use during the game?

Apologies for sounding thick but i'm not very PC techy so my knowledge doesn't extend beyond the basics that the average PC user would know. Embarassed I'll be fine once I know what i'm doing!

View user profile

9 Basic Guide UNFINISHED on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:03 am

Ratware

Admin

• Start Windows Explorer (START, All Programs, Accessories).
  • Copy and paste this into the Address bar:
    %AppData%\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3
  • Press enter. This takes you to the QL folder.
  • Right click anywhere in blank space on the right hand pane, select New, select Text Document.
  • Right click on the new file and select rename, and rename it cryptomorph.cfg
  • Double click the file, Windows should say it can't open the file, blah, blah - Choose Select a program form the list, and select Notepad.
  • You can then copy and paste the commands listed above (i.e the ones I list) into the text file, then save it.
  • Start a game in QL and open the console*.
  • Type writeconfig backup.cfg and enter. This makes a backup of your current config to a file called backup.cfg
  • Type exec cryptomorph.cfg - this runs your config you just created.
  • Escape from the console and test the binds!

* To open console (CTRL + ALT + `) (` = next to number 1). You can also then type the command com_allowconsole 1 - this will then allow you just to use the ` key to open the console!

You can then edit this file and add all sorts of weapon key binds and configuration options.

Here is my current config file for you to study, most of it is documented Smile

mediafire.com ?4me0izgmlt2

Last edited by Ratware on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

10 Re: Key Binds Basics on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 am

Griffo

Admin
Okushama wrote:you can also combine commands into one bind

example:

/bind kp_5 dropWeapon ; say_team ^2Take this weapon and fight on brother!

placing ; will separate commands

just realised you forgot the quote marks which you definetly need with this kind of multiple bind thingymejiggy

/bind kp_5 "dropWeapon ; say_team ^2Take this weapon and fight on brother!"

11 Re: Key Binds Basics on Sun May 02, 2010 5:03 pm

Griffo wrote:

just realised you forgot the quote marks which you definetly need with this kind of multiple bind thingymejiggy

/bind kp_5 "dropWeapon ; say_team ^2Take this weapon and fight on brother!"

Yeah i do apologise for that Smile
though for a single command bind quoting is not needed Very Happy

View user profile http://www.quakelive.com/profile/summary/okushama

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum